At RJI Pivot Point Chicago, working groups on Tuesday afternoon addressed three questions designed to help initiate the project-building process:
- What functions should the news “industry” fullfill (for communities)?
- What structures or elements might be useful to do so?
- How might key processes operate?
"The World We Want to Create" --- RGI Pivot Point Chicago's Groups 2 & 5
BELOW FROM AMY GARMER:
- Help people understand their world
- Promote a sense of agency for people in their communities
- Show the community to itself—a collective sense of the whole
- Being inclusive of the reader’s authority (eg, Davis Wiki/Local Wiki)
- Hold power accountable
- connect economies
- tell stories and delight people
- Strive to ignite passion
- embody trust and credibility
BELOW FROM MARTIN LANGEVELD
From working group five
We envision the current institutionally-dominated local media environment giving way to a post-institutional, networked, digital system with many nodes which are individuals, small businesses, non-profits as well as relics of the old institutions. These nodes will content, create and sell advertising, design, select, edit, recommend, aggregate, moderate etc. in an ecosystem that shifts and evolves over time to respond to community needs and to adapt to and incorporate new technologies. In other digital ecosystems such as the Google ad system, Ebay and Amazon, there are already such networks in place of small players inside and outside the structured system delivering services necessary to the operation and success of the system. In these cases, order is imposed on the system by the parent organizations. In the ecosystem we envision, it is not yet clear where structure, order and rules will originate.
The functions, structures and processes we envisioned were as follows:
- Functions: inform, interpret, curate, moderate, aggregate, select, edit, segment audience, analyze, innovate, be relevant to daily lifecycles, connect, monitor trends, listen, consumer sales, be community glue, public mission, provide solutions
- Structures: Platform agnostic, shared resources, network, online automation, non-linear experiences, non-linear advertising, reader content creation, data collection and analysis, interest circles, leading the conversation
- Processes: Transformational change, use data and feedback, customization, personalization, segmentation, identify sources or sustainability,
user-generation of content