From IVP Wiki
How can online open government support the news ecology?
Jeris JC Miller
- journalists should be the instigators of making government open
- humanistic voice needs to be heard in the new technologies
- government should be consumer focused like VA is trying to be via social media
- government is made of people who bear responsibility to reach out to the community and community is responsible to see governments as people (humans)
- How do we systematically mine public records?
- What is the clearinghouse for government online efforts?
- Online world is solution oriented where print journalism is problem-oriented
- Journalists role is to stand in for citizens
- The good and creative voices will stand out
- Government credentialing of journalists will inevitably be relaxed
- Barriers to who gets to speak (MSM) are dropping
- Governments should be rewarded for being on the leading edge of digital media
- Forum Foundation and Washington Coalition on Open Government will collaborate on open government issue forum around Sunshine Week
- Washington COG will look to expand its Key Awards to recognizing government agencies work on online openness. Lathrop (Gov2.0 author) will work with WashCOG.
- We will contribute individually to a clearinghouse of open government online efforts at WashingtonCOG.org