Jeff VanderClute: One attempt to synthesize
On Friday morning, Blueprint participant Jeff VanderClute presented this analysis and challenge:
Three levels of confusion
The Information Valet Project addresses (and seeks to simultaneously solve) three “levels of confusion” for Internet information commerce:
- Technology for privacy and identity
- “Overlay” or federation of content providers (offers consumer convenience, among other things)
- Business model that can sustain the news industry in some form. This industry employs a lot of people and is seen as a protector of democracy through its commitment to journalism that matters.
Separating the levels
The Information Card Foundation discussion has allowed us to separate out these levels.
- InfoCard and perhaps others are solving the technology for privacy and identity
- IVP can focus on the federation of content providers
- For sustaining the news industry, what is a realistic timeline? Is it fast enough
(For example, see Matt Thompson’s/Robin Sloan’s EPIC 2014).
A challenge for the morning
If there were a gun to our collective head and we had to come up with tactical maneuvers TODAY that buy us enough time for privacy/identity (1) and federation (2) to happen such that the news industry could be saved . . . what would those tactical maneuvers be?
- Example: Get the news media together with the Information Card Foundation to begin experimenting with (1)?
- What else?